Professor RIGOBERTO C. ADVINCULA
Department of Chemistry and
Department of Chemical Engineering
University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204
Design, synthesis, and characterization of polymers and nanostructured materials capable of controlled-assembly, tethering, and self-organization in ultrathin films.
This includes functional macromolecules, coordination polymerization, polymerization on surfaces, electropolymerization, and preparation of nanoparticles and hybrid materials.
Properties include: smart coatings, electrically conducting, photoluminescent, electroluminescent, energy harvesting, optically active, and biocompatible.
Surface sensitive spectroscopy and microscopy is systematically utilized to probe materials properties and biological phenomena.
We are also involved in investigating nanoparticles, nanostructured surfaces, and nanocomposite materials for sensor and bioapplications.
Other applied studies include packaging, coatings, biomaterials, plastics, and process development.
• Consultant, PPG Industries, Rhodia, Dow Corning, Exxon Mobil, Avery-Dennison Inc., Nalco Energy Services, Nanotex Inc., Roche Diagnostics, Zeon Nippon, Fuji Films, Lintec Inc., Agilent Technologies, INMAT Technologies, Dai Nippon Printing, Chemrez Technologies, San Miguel Corporation, Kuraray America.
• Short and long-term industrial projects, analysis, development, collaborative proposals, litigation, and tutorials.
The goal is to teach the state of the art and fundamentals in smart coatings based on stimuli-responsive coatings, nanostructured, and nanocomposite coatings.
This will start with a review of various methods of coatings fabrication, their unique properties, and immediately on current and potential applications. This includes self-cleaning coatings, sensing coatings, new conducting coatings, and nanocomposite barrier coatings.
A number of companies involved and universtiy research will be highlighted.
At the end of the course, the participants will gain update of the state-of-the-art but also the fundamentals of fabrication and characterization of such coatings.
• POLYMER AND COATINGS BASICS
• NANOSTRUCTURED MATERIALS AND THIN FILMS
• STIMULI-RESPONSIVE COATINGS
• CHARACTERIZATION OF COATINGS
• APPLICATIONS AND BEYOND
Who should attend the course
Participants from both industry and academe will benefit for this course. This is geared towards researchers who are interested in innovation of new products and at the same time in learning some fundamentals about this coatings and materials. Ideal for up-to-date knowledge and survey of the emerging field.
|REGISTRATION FEE: 680, EUR *
registration form (doc.)
(*) Registration includes:
• Printed Course Materials,
• Course Certificate,
• 2 refreshments daily,
• Lunch at Hotel Venue (daily / 2 days).
Early registration = 680 EUR * (till 15 March, 2011)
After= 980 EUR